Italian pension funds expect closer bond with depositaries

RomeThree-quarters of Italian pension funds say depositary banks will play a more important role in their industry once new rules from the state pension regulator are passed. Pension funds will need the support of depositaries to produce more transparent reporting and control systems and to lighten their administrative burden, says the survey by RBC Investor Services. The rules from the Commissione Di Vigilanza Sui Fondi Pensione, the state pension regulator, are due to come into force at the beginning of 2013 for large pension funds. A large majority of the pension funds surveyed, 83%, said they would need to undergo partial structural reorganisation to comply with the rules, with the remaining 17% expecting significant operational changes. Three-quarters of respondents said they believed the added administrative burden was unlikely to cost more than €100,000, though. The rules aim to promote responsible governance by requiring pension funds to provide information on their investments and financial targets, and will put in place safeguards designed to prevent avoidable losses. ©2012 funds europe

Executive Interviews

INTERVIEW: Put your money where your mouth is

Jun 10, 2016

At Kempen Capital Management, they believe portfolio managers should invest in their own funds. David Stevenson talks to Lars Dijkstra, CIO of the €42 billion manager.

EXECUTIVE INTERVIEW: ‘Volatility is the name of the game’

May 13, 2016

Axa Investment Managers chief executive officer, Andrea Rossi, talks to David Stevenson about bringing all his firm’s subsidiaries under one name and the opportunities that a difficult market...


ROUNDTABLE: Beyond the hype

Oct 13, 2016

The use of smart beta investing continues to grow. Our panel, made up of both providers and users, discusses what the strategy actually means, how it should be used and the kind of pitfalls that may arise when using this innovative investment technique.

MIFID II ROUNDTABLE: Following the direction of travel

Sep 07, 2016

Fund management firms Aberdeen and HSBC Global meet with specialist providers to speak about how the industry is evolving towards MiFID II.