Barclay’s hedge fund indices continue their positive run

The Barclay Hedge Fund Index gained 0.78% in May, its third successive month of positive performance, according to BarclayHedge. Year-to-date the index is up by 0.85% and the firm says that recent gains are due to positive economic news, which are giving equities a boost. Sixteen out of 18 hedge fund indices made gains last month. Its technology index was up 2.74%, distressed securities gained 2.14%, healthcare and biotechnology was up by 2.30% while European equities and equity long bias were up by 1.65% and 1.21% respectively. However, it was not all good news as the equity short bias index lost 1.54% last month and the global macro index slipped 0.26%. “Good news on the US economic front helped push the S&P Total Return Index to a 1.80% gain, just shy of its all time high,” said Sol Waksman, founder and president of BarclayHedge. BarclayHedge is the alternative investment research arm of Barclays and maintains information on 6100 hedge funds. ©2016 funds europe

Executive Interviews

INTERVIEW: Put your money where your mouth is

Jun 10, 2016

At Kempen Capital Management, they believe portfolio managers should invest in their own funds. David Stevenson talks to Lars Dijkstra, CIO of the €42 billion manager.

EXECUTIVE INTERVIEW: ‘Volatility is the name of the game’

May 13, 2016

Axa Investment Managers chief executive officer, Andrea Rossi, talks to David Stevenson about bringing all his firm’s subsidiaries under one name and the opportunities that a difficult market...


ROUNDTABLE: Beyond the hype

Oct 13, 2016

The use of smart beta investing continues to grow. Our panel, made up of both providers and users, discusses what the strategy actually means, how it should be used and the kind of pitfalls that may arise when using this innovative investment technique.

MIFID II ROUNDTABLE: Following the direction of travel

Sep 07, 2016

Fund management firms Aberdeen and HSBC Global meet with specialist providers to speak about how the industry is evolving towards MiFID II.