Oxfam shows rich get richer and poor get poorer

Charity investingThe richest 1% of people are on track to own more than the rest of the world combined in just two years time, according to international aid and development charity, Oxfam. Since 2010, the richest 1% of adults in the world have increased their share of total global wealth, owning as much as 48% in 2014, says Oxfam's 'Wealth: having it all and wanting more' report. If the trend continues, the top 1% will have more wealth than the remaining 99% of people in just two years, exceeding 50% of global wealth ownership by 2016. Using data from Credit Suisse's Global Wealth Databook and the Forbes list, the Oxfam report shows global wealth is increasingly concentrated in the hands of a small elite, who have particular interests in sectors such as finance and insurance. Since March 2013, there have been 37 new billionaires in these sectors, joining household names such as Warren Buffet and Michael Bloomberg. Billionaires listed as having interests or activities in the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors have also been particularly successful, increasing their collective net worth by 47% between 2013 and 2014. The study also shows that, while the wealth of the richest increases, since 2010 the total wealth of the poorest half of the world has steadily declined. Currently, the wealth of the 80 richest individuals equals that of 3.5 billion people in the rest of the world. Oxfam plans to press forward with its campaign 'Even It Up', calling for governments, institutions and corporations to tackle the wealth inequality described in its report, at the 2015 World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos this week. ©2015 funds europe

Executive Interviews

INTERVIEW: Put your money where your mouth is

Jun 10, 2016

At Kempen Capital Management, they believe portfolio managers should invest in their own funds. David Stevenson talks to Lars Dijkstra, CIO of the €42 billion manager.

EXECUTIVE INTERVIEW: ‘Volatility is the name of the game’

May 13, 2016

Axa Investment Managers chief executive officer, Andrea Rossi, talks to David Stevenson about bringing all his firm’s subsidiaries under one name and the opportunities that a difficult market...


ROUNDTABLE: Beyond the hype

Oct 13, 2016

The use of smart beta investing continues to grow. Our panel, made up of both providers and users, discusses what the strategy actually means, how it should be used and the kind of pitfalls that may arise when using this innovative investment technique.

MIFID II ROUNDTABLE: Following the direction of travel

Sep 07, 2016

Fund management firms Aberdeen and HSBC Global meet with specialist providers to speak about how the industry is evolving towards MiFID II.